Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which may result in some display problems. This website works best with the latest versions of modern browsers such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari.
- Minutes: Current (2008 to date); All (1921-date; internal use only)
- Biennial Reports
- 1917/18-1984/86 (print held by MoDOT Library and Missouri State Archives)
- Digital via HathiTrust (1917/18-1974/76)
- Only v. 1 (1917/18)-v. 3 (1920/22), v. 7 (1928-1930) and v. 11 (1936-38) are full text.
- Remaining volumes are searchable but not viewable.
- 1977-2002 (print held by MoDOT Library and Missouri State Library)
- Jefferson City, MO newspapers
- News-Tribune/Post-Tribune (1927-2006, 2007-date) available on microfilm at Missouri River Regional Library (except for most current issues in hard copy)
- News-Tribune (1999-date) NewsBank database at Missouri River Regional Library (must have a library card to access); not all articles (like obits) are online
- News-Tribune archives search (March 1999-date) via Central Missouri Newspapers, Inc. website
- Limited full-text searching; offer articles for a small fee.
- Columbia, MO papers
- Columbia-Missourian (1926-date) available on microfilm at Mizzou Library
- Selected years (1908, 1909, 1929, 1966, and 1966-1985) available online in Missouri Digital Heritage
- Columbia Daily Tribune
- Search 2009-date online or 1993-2009 in archives; go to main page; click on search button; select current or archive to search
- Kansas City papers
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- 1966-2007 issues on microfilm (State Library)
- Print indexes for 1987-2005 issues (State Library)
- Online access may be available onsite at area libraries such as University of Missouri (selected coverage back to 1879)
- Newspaper collection (The State Historical Society of Missouri) -- About
- Digitized Missouri newspapers from Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers website (Library of Congress) covering papers from 1836-1922
- Digitized Missouri newspapers (Missouri Digital Heritage) -- some overlap with SHS but some holdings are unique
- Newspapers.com (must visit, or be a valid library card holder of, a library that subscribes, like Mid-Continent Public Library. Provides online access to many small Missouri newspaper titles from 1700s to 2000s)
- State Library Reference Services clipping files (mostly historical and no longer current; hard copy only; library use only)
- Missouri Highways – sometimes includes features on popular routes
- Missouri Historical Review
- MoDOT department news & press releases
- MoDOT employee newsletters
- Pathways: a quarterly magazine of the Missouri Department of Transportation
- Aerial images (MoDOT)
- State Archives has the original negatives in canisters. However, State Archives is unable to search for, identify and view map images from negatives.
- MoDOT retains copies of the digitized images (no direct access; on internal MoDOT network).
- The public must contact George Kipp or Steve Atkinson in Design/CADD Division to make requests and will need to provide specific location information, dates, etc.
- State Archives and the MoDOT Librarian have access to an aerial image inventory spreadsheet (internal use only) which lists images that have been digitized (but this may not match how MoDOT has categorized the images).
- Aerial Photographs of Missouri, 1938-1979 (U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service)
- Collection description from the State Historical Society of Missouri at Columbia
- There should be an index map at the beginning of each county in the collection. Land coordinates would be needed to find a specific feature. To view the photos, you would need to visit the SHS-Columbia in person.
- Where to Find Aerial Maps (University of Missouri-Columbia Library LibGuide)
- MoDOT Flickrstream
- MoDOT Historical Photo Gallery
- Missouri State Archives' collection of 25,000 MoDOT photographs from 1916-1965
- Flood of 1993: booklet and individual photos
- Local historical photos - try local historical societies or museums
16 mm film collection (owned by State Archives)
- Celebrating a Century: Web page (includes event timeline) | Video
Early Highway/Traffic Engineering History
Traffic Engineering Conference Proceedings (1st 1948 to date)
Available in print only. Early on, the series was sponsored by the University of Missouri College of Engineering. Currently known as TEAM conference (sponsored by MoDOT).
Where to Go For ...
- Chief Engineer Monthly Reports 1967-1984 (incomplete) -- hard copy available in Missouri State Archives
- Patron may need to file a Sunshine request with the Commission