Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service provided by the Missouri State Library Reference Services Division, and is used to obtain books, articles, and other materials for Missouri state government employees when an item is not available from the State Library’s collections or from the Missouri-based library partner system, MOBIUS.
The Missouri State Library utilizes a worldwide network of institutions to obtain research materials for Missouri state employees, and there is no fee for the service.
More about interlibrary loan:
- Missouri state employees are welcome to submit an interlibrary loan request for work-related items. State employees who need materials for a college or university class should consult with library staff affiliated with that college or university.
- State employees may enter their requests in the State Library’s interlibrary loan form. Request forms are also integrated into many of the subscription research databases provided by Reference Services.
- If a state employee is in need of a large number of articles at once (10 or more), he or she should contact the State Library at email@example.com or 573-751-3615 to discuss prioritization.
- Articles requested by state employees are generally delivered to the State Library via email from the loaning library within a few business days. State Library staff will then deliver the requested article to the state employee via his or her state email address. Articles do not need to be returned.
- Books requested by state employees generally take a bit longer to get to the State Library than articles, as they are often being shipped across many states. Books can be picked up at the State Library or delivered to state employees via interagency mail or UPS. State employees who receive books via UPS will need to cover the cost to ship the book back via UPS.
- State employees may request renewals for books and other physical items. Renewal acceptance is at the discretion of the loaning library.
- Books and other physical items should be returned to the Missouri State Library by the due date. State employees are responsible for loaned books and other physical items until they are returned to the Missouri State Library.
- In order to comply with copyright law, State Library staff may need to modify or cancel an interlibrary loan request and will notify any patron whose request is altered.
Refer to the full Missouri State Library Interlibrary Loan Policy document for further details.
Make an interlibrary loan request